I had a great time on this tour, our driver George was very knowledgeable, friendly and informative. I highly recommend this tour.
About the ride
Knossos archeological site is just 5 km southeast of Heraklion. The first excavation was conducted in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos. The site expands about 22.000 sq.m. Human inhabitation of it stretches from 6.800 – 1300 BC.
It is the biggest Minoan Palace of Crete which architectural features were copied later. The building is built around the big rectangular central yard and extends towards each direction, multi-floored and quite complicated at places. Within its premises, multi-use rooms and buildings were discovered such as: a great number of storage rooms and hundreds of ‘pithoi’, or jars, pottery workshops, stone carvers' workshops, metal makers areas, shrines and temples, ‘lustral basin’, or purification rooms, throne room with a gypsum throne, staircases and living quarters.
The palace was destroyed twice and it was partly after the final catastrophe. It is very likely that during its first phase it was not a complete building, but a collection of ‘insule’, a number of different non-united blocks.
The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion is one of the most important and significant museums in Greece. The museum was built between 1937-1940 and boasts 20 rooms with exhibits originating exclusively from Crete. The collections come mostly from central and eastern Crete and cover a span of 5.500 years. The exhibits are presented following the chronological evolution of the Minoan civilization.
The Venetia Fortress of Koules dominates the entrance to the Venetian Harbour of Heraklion. The Venetians called it "Sea Fortress" (Castello a Mare or Rocca a Mare), but today its Known by its Turkish name, Koules, a corruption of Su Kulesi (Water Tower). It is one of the most familiar and beloved monuments of the city, and the symbol of Heraklion.
Enjoy your travel to a maximum
You will be picked up by a personal driver at a convenient place and time
Enjoy your trip in a nice air-conditioned vehicle with Wi-Fi
Pick the stops and the time you spend on each one
Spend less time finding locations and waiting, and more time enjoying your travel
We hand-pick the best, friendliest and most knowledgeable drivers in the city
Our customers rate us excellent on Tripadvisor and other platforms
Included in the price
- Hotel pickup and dropoff
- Well-maintained car with an English-speaking driver
- Fuel and tolls
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Water and snacks
- Entrance fees for all attractions
- Official tour guide (you can include one after the booking)
- Lunch, other beverages and meals
- Tips and gratuities
Frequently asked questionsExpand
What happens after I book?
Once you complete your booking you will receive a confirmation email. Feel free to reach out to our customer service team at email@example.com for any specific questions regarding your booking.
What is the cancellation policy?
100% cancellation penalty applies when service is cancelled 24 hours or less prior to service delivery date or in case of no-show.
Comfortable Clothes & Shoes
We recommend that you wear comfortable clothing and good walking shoes since certain areas, such as walking around the Knossos site, contains many steps and may have uneven or rocky ground.
In the summer months, the sun is especially strong (even on cloudy days) so we recommend that you wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen to protect yourself. Also, be sure to drink enough water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
Photography is permitted in most historical sites unless otherwise mentioned.
We recommend you always keep local currency on you (euro) as many local merchants do not accept cards as payment.
Accessibility & Special Needs
Should anyone in your group have special needs or have advanced accessibility requirements, please specify upon booking and we will make sure to accommodate your needs and customize your tour accordingly.
Full €16 per person, Reduced: €8 per person
Valid for: Heraklion Archaelogical Museum, Knossos
Free admission days:
- 6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)
- 18 April (International Monuments Day)
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- 28 October
- Every first Sunday from November 1st to March 31st
- Greek citizens and citizens of other Member - States of the European Union who are over 65 years old, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin
- Students of University - Higher Education Institutes, Technological Educational Institutes or equivalent Schools of countries from outside the European Union, upon presentation of their student ID cards
Terms of serviceExpand
- Please note that the Welcome Drivers are not licensed to be your official tour guide at the local attractions and therefore will not accompany you into the sites. You may, however, hire a professional tour guide at an extra cost.
- Your Welcome Driver will provide you with their local knowledge and personal recommendations between stops. Since your safety is Welcome’s top priority, please refrain from distracting the driver during demanding driving conditions.
- Your Welcome Driver will drop you off and pick you up as close as possible to your stop whilst always respecting local traffic laws.
Book this ride
Select a date
Other rides in Crete
Day Trip From Heraklion to The Kera Monastery, Psychro Cave (Cave of Zeus) & Lasithi Plateau
Explore the Monastery of Kera and enjoy the views at the birthplace of the God, Zeus, at Lasithi Plateau
Half-day Trip From Chania to Therisos, Zourva and Meskla
Visit the beautiful Cretan villages of Therisos, Zourva and Meskla
Day Trip From Heraklion to Spinalonga, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda & Plaka
Visit Agios Nikolaos and the Elounda Lagoon. Explore the fishing village of Plaka as well as the island and former leper colony of Spinalonga.